Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Bumpa

Bumpa worked all his life
To raise his family
He served his country proudly
Flying planes over the sea

He traveled across the country
Wife and kids in tow
Amongst his stationed duties
His family did grow

Two station wagons
And a whole lot of days
Back to Alberta
With 11 children to raise

Out of the Military
and back to school
To become a prof
Teaching golden rules

Retirement at last
2 careers, a full life
over a half century of marriage
to his loving wife

A quiet unassuming man
Inner strength that is great
Never missed an opportunity
To show me that I rate

Saturday money, pocket change
A quarter here a quarter there
It was not about the money
Just showing us that he cared

He thought I should marry
Become an honest wife
Common law marriage
Was not an option in his life.

He did not approve of all I did
And sometimes had his say
But he never let me doubt it
As love and acceptance was his way
BjM 1-30-7

No comments: